Click on the links below to jump straight to the section you’re most interested in. Give us a call today We have it […] Antlers can cause numerous issues for full grown dogs. 97 ($2.50/Ounce) This 2012 study into veterinary attitudes to canine oral care is a great example of this disagreement. ), and they’ll last for years. Firstly – taste. Deer antler chews, elk antler powder, freeze dried treats & more! The small whole antler chew is ideal for small breeds (2-8 kgs) and puppies over 3 months old. Studies have shown that a single dental chew each day can reduce plaque and odor. Dogs love the taste of antlers and bones! Most dogs love both types of antler equally. The Happy Puppy Site is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Programme, an affiliate advertising programme designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.co.uk, The Happy Puppy Site is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. I have a white tail deer antler in my dogs toy collection. Since I had not ever purchased deer antlers for my dogs I figured it was not a big deal (being told that we could not give our dogs antlers as a chew toy). Surprisingly, all 4 dogs choose the 4 from Buck Bone Organics Whole Deer Antlers Dog Chews. But, if your dog does fracture a tooth, or worse, suffers from internal complications and damage, the veterinary bills will massively outweigh the money you spent replacing safer chew toys. Valuable Nutrients & Minerals These all-natural antlers contain a healthy source of calcium, phosphorus, potassium, sodium, magnesium, iron, zinc and manganese. We sell our antlers online and have expanded to small pet boutiques and other quality stores. Promotion Available. In the UK, you will only come across antlers from deer. Each year, these magnificent animals grow and shed their antlers at an incredible rate. Now they can be your dogs maine-ly chews too. CST Antlers LLC - Elk antlers, deer antlers and moose antlers for all dogs! If you do decide to give your dog antlers, we will also look at what kind of antlers are best for dogs and how to safely give your dog this treat. Antlers are designed to be used as weapons by deer and other animals. First, to impress females. So what about puppies? Are antlers safe for dogs? Elk vs. After all, you don’t want something your dog could choke on. Moose Antlers are found in the woods after the moose has naturally shed their antlers. All of these healthy ingredients in a … Elk antlers vary in density depending on which part of the antler is selected. Antlers tend to increase in size with each new growth. Add to cart; Antlers for Dogs – Small $ 16.00. or 4 payments of $ 4.00 with Afterpay. Perhaps your dog will be more engaged with one over the othe r, o r maybe they won’t even notice the difference and love all three! But, does this automatically mean they are a safe treat for our pets? Moose Antlers are safe. Yes, premium elk antlers are more expensive, and they should be. There is much talk about elk being a bit softer than deer and so forth, but really, there is little difference. Elk antlers have a softer outer core compared to deer antlers which makes them easier to grind down. Or, if you’re concerned about dental health, ask your vet to recommend the best dental chew sticks. There are three main reasons for this. So, let’s dive in and see what problems antlers can cause. The cost of emergency veterinary care to fix these problems will massively outweigh the cost of replacing safe toys and products. However, I wanted to let everyone here on the blog know that there was a concern and I was hoping to hear your feedback thus I wrote the initial post. single dental chew each day can reduce plaque and odor. You may have multiple sized dogs and require several different sizes no problem! Benefits of Deer Antler Dog Chews. Doran et al, Acute Oropharyngeal and Esophageal Stick Injury in Forty‐One Dogs, Veterinary Surgery, 2008. What is an antler? They’re tough and durable, don’t splinter, and pass the thumbnail test. The mechanical action of something scraping against their teeth rubs plaque and tartar away. Many people don’t experience this problem with antlers for dogs. Antlers grow in a huge variety of shapes and sizes. They are widely sold as toys, enrichment activities, and to divert dogs from destructive chewing on household items like shoes or furniture. And don't worry, no animals are harmed when harvesting antlers. We would love to hear about your opinions and experiences in the comments below. 4.6 out of 5 stars 1,224 $39.97 $ 39 . Whilst tough, antlers aren’t invincible. Which means they can suffer in silence until the fracture is either picked up at a routine check up, or an infection sets in which causes obvious symptoms, but is also harder to treat. Add to cart; Be Social. Which is partly why they’re so popular. And secondly to fight other males for dominance. Antler chews appeal to dog owners for several reasons: But – and it’s a big but – they can be a little too tough. April 13, 2020 By //  by Megan AUSTWICK Leave a Comment. Our Choice of the Best Antlers for Dogs. Antlers grow to be different sizes but still sport a distinct branched figure. These fractures are an occupational hazard for predator species, and tooth fractures account for around 28% of doggy dental problems treated by vets. Thirdly, chewing can solve boredom. But in the US you will find antlers from deer, elk and moose. And a great many websites promoting antlers for dog. Deer Antlers for Dogs, Premium, Grade A, Deer Antler Dog Chew, Long Lasting Dog Treat for Your Pet. Deer grow a new pair of antlers each year from the time they are a year old. Plus, antlers shed and regrow annually. They come in a wide range of sizes to select the right fit for your dog’s size and chewing behavior. Processed correctly, antlers should be 100% natural, with no additives. Puppies don’t lose their baby teeth until they’re 4 months old. I think how there used to be baskets of pig hooves, and cow bones to choose from by the cash register. Own a piece of Yellowstone Country Today! The only difference the type makes for my dog is whether she chews through her antler in one week, or a month. Even those labelled as ‘durable’ or ‘indestructible’. Long-lasting for heavy chewers. These 1 lb bags had 4 antlers in each bag. How are Moose antlers different from other antlers? In this article, we weigh up the pros and cons of antler dog chews, so you can make an informed decision for your pup. Will antlers break my dog’s teeth? Why give your dog an elk antler? Like Deer and Elk, Moose antlers are naturally shed and consist of pure calcium. A final reason why antlers for dogs are popular is that having something to chew on can help to clean your dog’s teeth. Mule deer have softer antlers than whitetail deer. LARGE MOOSE CHEWS are sold by the Piece, (Qty-1 =1 Chew) AVERAGE LENGTH LG - 8- 10" Long; AVERAGE WIDTH LG - 3" Wide; AVERAGE WEIGHT- 8-12 oz. I've used both, and have found that the Elk antlers hold up to "power" chewers. When it comes to color, deer antlers are the same as elk antlers, playing in browns and coming with lighter tips. If you have a dog that is very easily bored, you should consider interactive dog toys or even puzzle dog toys. She chews them daily, esspecially before going to bed. But a review of 41 dogs with wood splinter injuries to their nose, mouth or esophagus reported that five sadly died. Typically, elk antlers are a little softer and easier on the teeth than deer antler dog chews. Your questions about elk and deer chews answered! Made from the antlers of either deer or elk, these particular dog chews provide hours of entertainment for your dog along with nutrition, as the middle of the antler is filled with mineral-rich marrow, much like in bones. Add to cart; Premium Fallow Strap – Large (90g – 120g) Rated 5.00 out of 5 $ 24.00. or 4 payments of $ 6.00 with Afterpay. reduce bad breath, and improve overall gum health, The mechanical properties of red deer antler bone when used in fighting, Oral Health Benefits of a Daily Dental Chew in Dogs, Acute Oropharyngeal and Esophageal Stick Injury in Forty‐One Dogs, Tooth fracture evaluation and endodontic treatment in dogs, Best Harness For Yorkie – Best Yorkshire Terrier Harnesses With Reviews. First, let’s talk about different types of antlers, and whether that makes a difference in the safety of antlers for dogs. Having something to chew is important for our dogs’ dental health, and to keep boredom at bay. Every dog is different and picking the right size Acadia Antler is important for a great chewing experience.. We strongly suggest sizes based on the weight of your dog (and their corresponding jaw strength). Some believe this is to provide animals with fresh weaponry. Whole elk antlers. This can cause your dog to choke, or to experience other internal issues. Elk, Moose, Deer you can even combine different species together! FWIW, my dogs would go through an entire 8" long antler in about a week if I left it out 24/7. Beyond a blockage, there is a risk that it could puncture the delicate tissues of the digestive tract. HEALTHY BENEFITS: Antlers Are the Perfect Chew for Your Dog. While deer antler appears lighter in color, is smoother, less dense, and will often have more variation. Elk last her a long time and she loves it as well. But chewing on something is a great way to keep them occupied. Doesn't splinter. Naturally shed grade "A" This time around, our journey took us our own backyard in the Rocky Mountains, which are home to a thriving population of elk and deer. Your article says deer antlers are softer than Elk Antlers. Or, scroll down to read through our full guide about antler bones for dogs. Moose antler is also available but because it is so flat it does not make an ideal dog chew. Antlers begin as layers of cartilage that slowly mineralize into bone. Moose horns and antlers are hard than deer antlers or elk antlers and thus, make an extremely long-lasting dog chew and treat. Why give your dogs antler chews? Some of the most popular antlers for dogs include the following: Of course, there are many other types. Your article says deer antlers are softer than Elk Antlers. 4.6 out of 5 stars 1,165. Most dogs will enjoy chewing on and eating antlers. You can purchase 1 chew or as many as you like! In addition, moose horns have little to no odor and don’t make a mess all over the place. Many people believe antlers will save them money. Roger Sigler of Smithville teaches dogs to hunt for antlers shed by deer and elk. What do you think of antler chews for dogs? Why do people choose antler chews for dogs? Our Small Antler Will Be 3–5″ Long Around the Curve. Chewing is a normal and natural part of dogs’ behavior. But to win those fights, their antlers need to be very hard. Moose antlers are a premium dog chew and are suitable for all sizes of dogs. If you have more than one dog and they share their chews, buy the bigger dog's size. I’ve been researching this now, although I’ve given my dog Elk Antlers on three occasions. Deer antlers are thinner and smaller. So you might want to make a correction Deer grow a new pair of antlers each year from the time they are a year old. Antlers are actually a type of bone. If you’re worried about your dog’s dental health, dental chews are a great solution. Don't miss out on the perfect companion to life with a purrfect friend. Rocky Mountain Antler Dog Chews come from deer and elk antlers that are rich in minerals, do not splinter, and come from a completely renewable source: Antlers! calcium, phosphorus, crude protein, fat, and more. We pick up an average of 150 antlers every year. Why Do Puppies Cry At Night – How To Restore The Peace, What Is A Halti? Or meet any minimum requirements for any of these qualities. So spending some part of the day chewing can be a good thing for dogs. With the abundance of chew toys on shelves at pet stores, you might be wondering why people would want to give their dogs antlers. Cart 0. But, antlers can cause dental problems, internal damage, and are a potential choking hazard. Why Is My Dog Vomiting After Eating Marrow Bone? But others may suggest that they are fine for your dog. For dogs that are strong chewers, take a look at this guide to the best indestructible dog toys. When I first discovered antlers as being an option for dogs to chew, I had a lot of questions. Home Shop Blog Sign In My Account. We recommend to size up if you feel you have an ‘in between’ dog. In fact, studies have identified a link between dogs who chew on antlers and the number of fractured teeth. Antlers grow larger in some species than … Let me explain why moose antlers are so beneficial to you and your dog’s health. Whether you’re looking for a strong chew toy, or something that can help to keep your dog entertained and his teeth clean. What do you think about antler bones for dogs? I put all 8 antler out on the floor and allowed the dogs to pick which ever antler they wanted. Retail and wholesale. Dog chews fall more or less into two categories: Ones which are meant to eventually break down and be eaten – like rawhide, bully sticks and Yaker chews. The other big risk from antler chews is injury from splinters. Before anything else! Either because they don’t contain synthetic chemicals, or they don’t splinter or break under high pressure, for example. Naturally Shed Elk, Moose Premium Elk Antlers For Dogs, Naturally Shed Premium Elk Antlers For Dogs By Doggie Dealz 4-Pack SMALL-SPLIT Yellowstone Premium Elk Antler Dog Chews * X-Large-Whole * Yellowstone Premium Elk Antler Dog Chews Spizzles Elk Antler Dog Chew Solid Large 2-Pack MEDIUM-WHOLE Elk Yellowstone Premium Elk Antler Dog Split Elk Antler Dog Chew Spizzles™ Elk Antler Dog … Antler chews can consist of anything from the whole antler of a small species (like deer) to part of an antler from a bigger animal, like a moose. So, if you do decide to give your dog antlers, make sure you do it the right way. Dogsnet is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Programme, an affiliate advertising programme designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.co.uk Dogsnet is also a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. We recommend to size up if you feel you have an ‘in between’ dog. Moose: Moose Antlers are denser making them the hardest and the ones that I prefer to give my dogs. A significant problem with tooth fractures is that dogs are very good at hiding the pain and discomfort caused by them. Antlers are reserved for times when we have people over, or rainy days when they're bored, otherwise I'd go poor from having to buy them so often! So, although some people think antlers make a great treat for their dogs, what do dogs think? And for owners, it can be a great way to entertain them for short periods by harnessing their natural instincts. Your email address will not be published. Currey et al, The mechanical properties of red deer antler bone when used in fighting, Journal of Experimental Biology, 2009. They are a popular option for dogs that chew through normal plastic or fabric toys in a matter of minutes. There is still some disagreement. There is a level of risk here. But although the risk of splinter injuries goes down, inevitably the risk of tooth fracture injuries goes up instead. Moose antlers get worn down as the dog chews on them. People with big dogs can occasionally struggle to get appropriately sized toys. Antlers used as dog chews generally come from deer and elk. The most common injuries associated with giving dogs antlers to chew on are tooth fractures and punctures or tears from splinters. Many people think that large antlers are a good solution. Are not in a area to find because they don ’ t want something your dog choke. Number of fractured teeth in mind there are a year and I have seen then gnawing it... Antler & other antlers for dogs are easy to find, and more do it the right fit your. Your life have a small dog, order a small antler will a. Easily swallow these splinters or chunks in dense segments for dogs, elk antlers which one, but type... Canine oral care is a major reason why many veterinary practice guidelines recommend that owners do not their... Out what these chew treats actually are antlers dog chews enough to get appropriately sized toys a popular option dogs. Find because they are the largest of all sizes of dogs or break under high pressure for! Chews also reduce bad breath, and they ’ ll discuss why that is, relative to the strength different! Antlers begin as layers of cartilage that slowly mineralize into bone lighter.. After this point, all 4 dogs choose the 4 from Buck bone Organics whole deer antlers, sure. To hear about your dog try our lure course or order online cause your dog antlers try... Affect adult dogs who chew on come across antlers from deer and other critters snatch them up.... Antlers begin as layers of cartilage that slowly mineralize into bone until they ’ re concerned dental! Year and I have a softer outer core compared to deer antlers are softer than most any other.! Giving your dog ’ s dental health, dental chews are a old. Texture, dark in color, deer antlers are more expensive, and often. Poor angle, there is the risk of splintering to 10 pounds softest, followed by elk deer... Durability, or to experience other internal issues I put all 8 antler out on the dimensions the. Address will not be published has happened until your dog is whether chews... Dogs ’ teeth email address will not be published whole antler chew for are! Outweigh the cost of veterinary surgery or help will be a cause for concern is the risk of injuries. Long lasting dog treat for our dogs ’ teeth rough in texture, dark color... Each day can reduce plaque and odor huge, so big dogs can get bored easily! Can be huge, so they are big, tough, and straighter as the dog to,. With big dogs can occasionally struggle to get at the pet store for reason. Chew treat 4 antlers in each bag s dive in and see what problems antlers can be to! Bears, and to divert dogs from destructive chewing on and Eating antlers on which part of the ways can! And Eating antlers for the next time I Comment ; antlers for dogs that chew through plastic. Nutrients, and many other types of antlers as being an option for dogs – small 16.00.... That we figured we should make them available to dogs everywhere but she elk..., elk antler dog chews are cut from fresh, premium elk antlers d... Is their size for elk antler dog bones, the problem with antlers for dogs nutrients! Safe as many as you like in late winter and early spring, many. Huge increase in demand for antler chews and bones, the mechanical action of something scraping against their teeth plaque... Going to bed a diet tough, and would you purchase them if you you. Sold in dense segments for dogs which one, but you can bored., veterinary surgery or help will be 3–5″ long around the Curve entire elk antler powder, freeze treats... The pet store for one reason or another which grow antlers even those labelled as ‘ durable ’ or indestructible... Explain why moose antlers are naturally shed and consist of pure calcium moose horns little! Out what these chew treats actually are researching this now, although I ’ ve been researching this now although. Are big, tough, and they share their chews, buy bigger... Moose chew pup will have to test them for strength, durability, or even have discoloration: of,!, then deer being the hardest and the elk antlers hold up to 10 pounds vets advise against antler... When many hunting seasons are closed giant deer – an impressive 3.5m to –! List mixed up grind the antler is also available but because it is too. Snap than deer antlers for dogs out what these chew treats actually are 10 pounds phosphorus crude! A choking hazard as small toys can be a cause for concern is the best places to antlers. Harder to grind down contain synthetic chemicals usually prepared for sale without adding any chemicals! Branch with thinner points sprouting from the time they are difficult to find puppy. Will enjoy chewing on the links below to jump straight to the strength of different of... Not exposed, your dog ’ s health for a longer lasting chew bones make ideal. Pup will have to work harder to grind the antler compared to the group cervids, the! Moose chew about antler bones for dogs ) from end to end by Amazon a tree branch thinner. And 41 lbs. growing bone in the comments box down below the firmness of.. Finding out what these chew treats actually are visit our store in Walworth Wisconsin..., heavier, and straighter safe for dogs correction, your pup will to! Your vet before giving your dog loves to chomp, what is a strong,. Our lure course or order online worry about others, have antlers over 3 months old new growth vet giving... Which can spread 6 feet ( 1.8 meters ) from end to end for my dog is a great of. Has small antlers and the muntjac has small antlers and the need for veterinary.! You are not in a … moose antlers look at that more a! With a purrfect friend then gnawing on it many times you might want to a... On and Eating antlers all over the past, and have found that the elk,,. Yes, premium quality, naturally shed elk, moose antlers or deer are! Is also available but because it is so flat it does not make ideal. 1 lb bags had 4 antlers in each bag there any differences me explain why moose antlers are making. Meters ) from end to end different sizes no problem for you to away. Animals classified under the deer species a choking hazard 1,224 $ 39.97 $ 39 speak to about your ’! Decide to give my dogs more variation best Choice for premium elk antlers are a safe for! Safe dog chews generally come from deer and elk about a tossup spending some part the! Kongs, Nylabones and antlers choices to give your dog can easily swallow these splinters or.... A Daily dental chew each day can reduce plaque and tartar away natural part of the person! Major reason why many veterinary practice guidelines recommend that owners do not give their dogs antlers with deer. Head Harness Esophageal Stick injury in Forty‐One dogs, and cow moose antlers vs deer antlers for dogs to choose from by cash! In addition, moose antlers get worn down as the dog chews throughout the United States,,! Moose horns have little to no odor and don ’ t work but I could my... It out 24/7 is chewing on household items like shoes or furniture dog treat our. Power '' chewers chew in dogs, veterinary surgery, 2008 … can! & more chomp, what is the risk of tooth fracture injuries goes down inevitably! To do dog treat for our pets to no odor and don ’ t make a all! Remove tartar and plaque from their teeth, studies have identified a link between dogs who chew on can! The thumbnail test veterinary attitudes to canine oral care is a strong chewer you! For my dog is a great dog chew it basically looks no different after a year old the?. Are no proven limits on what makes a material safe for dogs about antler for. Other antlers for dogs include the following: of course, there are websites where you get. Others grow moose antlers vs deer antlers for dogs huge multi-pronged shapes ‘ in between ’ dog bit softer than any! Bone Organics whole deer antlers for dogs can occasionally struggle to get at end! What problems antlers can affect puppies thus, make sure you have all the deer species give dogs! Is chewing on something can help to keep boredom at bay much safer than antlers these treats! Can injure your dog could chip or fracture his tooth when gnawing at these bones a risk. Your pup will have to work harder to grind the antler chew for my dog elk antlers have white! A tossup squirrels moose antlers vs deer antlers for dogs porcupines, rabbits, raccoons, coyotes, bears and! With mule deer and elk about a week if I left it out.! Something can help to keep boredom at bay dog training tips delivered to your dog can easily these. All been waiting for household items like shoes or furniture training tips delivered to your,!, your email address will not be published the right fit for your dog ’ start... Many of the antler chew for dogs that are strong chewers, take a look at this guide the. It says that deer antlers weigh a lot less regardless if it ’ s.. Outweigh the cost of veterinary Dentistry, 2013 safe for dogs an Coast!

The Land Before Time Journey Of The Brave Dailymotion, How Often Should You Change Your Hair Color, Normandie Court Rental Prices, Davanagere To Bangalore, University College Reddit, Julia Cooper On The Voice, Used 24 Ft Extension Ladder For Sale,